Thursday 11 July 2013

Raw Beauty


Lately I have been thinking about what beauty really is. Who defines beauty? What defines beauty? With it being the 21st century where did I turn to have this question answered? None other than Google, of course. I hopped on my computer and typed in "what is beauty" the first response I got was this:

"A combination of qualities, such as shape, color, or form, that pleases the aesthetic senses, esp. the sight. A combination of qualities that pleases the intellect or moral sense" - Wikipedia

Not being satisfied with the answer I began to make a mind map of what beauty is to me. (There is a picture of it below). The words that I connect with the most are highlighted in blue signifying a primary connection and yellow as secondary; although, all resonate with me on a large scale. The words that pop out the most to me are fluid movement, simplicity, oneness, energy, nature, innocence, love and loyalty. Going with Wikipedia's answer, there is no doubt a combination of qualities that create beauty and I don't think there are any hard fast rules to this definition.



I have tried endlessly to write a post on "Raw Beauty" or even just beauty but everything I wrote didn't seem quite right and went off on tangents about the complexities of beauty in our world today. I think the reason why I can't write about it is because it is not describable but rather, it is simple, pure, raw something that can't be expressed through an explanation but has to evoke a feeling, it tickles all five senses. This inability to truly describe beauty in a raw form led to the creation of a list of things that I think raw beauty is. The combinations of the letters below, I believe evoke different feelings and therefore are beautiful -- in words and in experience. Enjoy this list of "Raw Beauty." 
(of course there are a million other words -- this is just a start)

Raw Beauty:

The emotions that a good song create at the base of your belly. The ability to watch a seed blossom into a vegetable or flower. The sacred feeling of being on a mountain peak as snowflakes fall around you. The sounds of a paddle in calm waters. The feeling of a cool lake water surrounding your body. The comfort of being in your own skin, free - free of expectations. The change in your heart beat by the touch of a lover. The feeling evoked by seeing joy in someone else.  The melding of body and breath. Community. The taste of a really good meal. The wonder of mountains. The complexities of How this world functions in the most simple form. The crashing of waves against the shoreline. Children's laughter. The ability to express yourself without fear of judgement. The unity of breath and movement. The connection of friendship. The beauty of a newborn baby and its' mother. The tenderness of age old love.  The sound of heavy rain hitting the earth. The sound of carving through powder. The feeling, sound and smell of a wood burning fire. The aromatics of a good wine. The simple feeling of breath filling your body.

Connect with yourself on a pure level, a raw level and find freedom -- lightness in your heart and actions.  Take time out of each day to savor the qualities of the raw beauty within yourself and your surroundings and you will feel ever comfortable in your own skin. Be raw, be real.

~Liz 

1 comment: