Monday 11 March 2013

SPRING - Fresh, New, Exciting

With the "spring forward" time change now effect, less rainy days, warm sunshine, a carefree puppy and some new freckles on my face it is beginning to feel like spring -- especially with all the tulips that are being sold around town (I caved and bought some today!)

Spring is bitter sweet for me as I love Winter in the mountains. Being able to fill my free time snowboarding, snowshoeing, cross-country skiing and taking part in other glorious winter sports can make it hard to be happy for those rays of sunshine to be beating down on the mountain face; however, Spring/Summer brings a whole smattering of activities that are also loaded with enjoyment.

  
As the days become longer and the sun shine begins to greet me wherever I go I begin to feel fresh, renewed, excited. I think it is because there is something enchanting about Spring. In the morning there is dew on the ground but as the sun comes out the dew is turned into natures glistening crystals, bringing a magical sparkle to the lawn. New life begins to grow as I prepare my garden box, my tomato seeds have already sprouted (I have pre-planted inside!) The birds begin to sing filling my ears with up-lifting tunes, the flowers begin bloom and there is an unmistakable smell of spring in the air. All of these things are familiar but each year spring pops up I feel a sense of wonder -- an excitement to explore new things. As I was thinking about this I thought how this is very similar to one of the reasons why I love yoga so much.

Every time I come to my mat it is familiar, the smell and the feel but it is never exactly the same. Some days my body is more flexible than others, some days my balance is off, some days I am impatient with my practice and just want to get it over with, some days I love my practice and want to stay longer. Even though I know my mat and my body well each time I practice I have a different experience. Each different experience allows me to learn and grow and keeps my practice exciting -- enchanting -- a lot like Spring.

As the flowers begin to blossom, the birds begin to sing and the sun shines for an extended period of time try to embody a feeling of lightness, of excitement, approaching all experiences with an open heart -- whatever they may be. 

~Liz

1 comment: